Friday, July 15, 2005

Managing Downloads

For a while now I've been using a system of managing downloads
that I feel is quite effective, especially if you download a lot
of software.

First of all, I have a parent folder on my C drive that I call
'AAADownloads' so that it stays at the top in Windows Explorer
for easy access.

Every time I download a program, I create a new sub-folder within
this parent folder that has the same name as the software I'm
downloading.

Normally I store all the files and folders associated with the
software in this sub-folder. I also create a plain text software
log for each download that records the following information.

**Name:
**Source:
**Download Date:
**Install Date:
**Installation Report:
**Eula:
**Review:

To save time, I have a template file set up so I can just fill
in the blanks and save the resulting file to the new program's
sub-folder.

I find that it can be really useful to have all the information
and files you need for a program in an easily accessible and
well-organized location

No comments: