Sunday, June 05, 2011

Evernote

Some software applications or web services become such an important part of your everyday working life that you'd wonder how you'd manage to get anything done without them. For me, one such tool is Evernote.  Evernote allows you to capture and store thoughts, ideas, information from websites, images, scanned documents, files and just about anything else you can think of with ease.

The great thing about Evernote is that you can add notes in multiple ways, including via the Evernote website, its desktop software and its smartphone application. And, best of all, your notes are automatically synched between these various devices! What this means in practice is that I'm never very far from a device that  allows me to add a note to my Evernote account, so I can record thoughts and ideas on the fly. For example, if I'm out shopping, and get an idea I'd like to record, I can whip out my iPhone and jot down the outline of my idea in just a few seconds. Later, at home, I can look at the idea on my Evernote desktop software, expand on it as necessary and file it for future attention. 

Evernote is a very powerful and versatile application that really does help me stay organized, increase productivity and remember things.

3 comments:

janiece said...

I recently tried to install evernote but sadly it kept crashing on my phone (a prehistoric version of android). So i tried catch notes (very similar), which has worked fine. It took me a while to remember it was there and to start using it, but now i can't imagine how i got on without it. I really recommend these programs, there are endless useful ways to use them. You can almost throw out all your pens & paper!

Unknown said...

Yes, they certainly are useful. Actually, I had Evernote for quite a while and didn't use it that much. But, then I took another look at it and now I find I'm using it more and more and finding new ways of using it all the time. I'll take a look at catch notes as well.

David said...

Thanks, Brett... I have just recently switched to droid from Blackberry and had been looking for something to use as a substitute for the notes feature in outlook. This looks like a great app!